This workbook is designed to give students practice in all the elements of grammar, from sentence building to commas to dangling modifiers. It is intended be a companion practice book for those using Write from the Heart: A Resource Guide to Engage Writers and presents exercises in the same order. It can also be used as an additional resource for students in Write from the Heart’s online classes.
Exercises utilize multiple techniques for instruction including sentence identification and correction, paragraph editing, and directed construction. Exercises are provided for the following grammar functions:
- Parts of Speech: nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, interjections, and appositives
- Parts of a Sentence: subject, predicate, compound subjects and predicates, direct objects, indirect objects
- Clauses and Phrases: phrases, independent clauses, dependent clauses, relative clauses
- Types of Sentences: simple sentences, compound sentences, complex sentences, compound-complex sentences
- Kinds of Sentences: declarative, interrogative, imperative, exclamatory
- Sentence Errors: fragments, run-ons, comma splices, rambling and wordy sentences, unclear pronoun references, subject-verb agreement, misplaced and dangling modifiers, parallelism
- Comma Punctuation: lists, compound sentences, dependent clauses, interjections, appositives, transitional phrases, addresses, dates
- Other Punctuation: capitalization, titles, hyphens, dashes, parentheses, brackets, colons, semicolons, ellipses, apostrophes
Digital products are non-refundable. Physical products are refundable for 30 days with proof of purchase. View refund policy for details.